Eid is approaching and an edible sheer kurma is ready and waiting to relish your taste buds.
While the literal meaning of sheer khurma, a very popular dish throughout the Indian subcontinent and Central Asia, is milk with dates, people usually make it with vermicelli aka seviyan and nuts.
This year, Eid al-Fitr 2019 will begin on the evening of Tuesday, 4. Sheer kurma, the rich vermicelli pudding made with milk, lots of nuts, dates, and sugar, is a sweet treat that can be served both hot and cold, according to your preference.
This special dish is served on the morning time of Eid day in the family after the Eid prayer as breakfast, and throughout the day to all the visiting guests.
However, the best sheer khurma is the one made at home with lots of love. If you are planning to prepare Sheer Khurma at home this Eid here is an easy DIY sheer khurma recipe that you can give a try.
- Ghee- clarified butter
- Cashews, almonds, pistachios, raisins, dates, and other nuts of your choice.
- 1 cup vermicelli
- 100 gm cup grated mawa (dried milk rabdi-style)
- 1-liter whole milk
- Sugar to taste
- 1 spoon rose water (optional)
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- In a pan, heat ghee on medium heat and toss chopped nuts and raisins for a minute till they turn golden brown. Remove and keep them aside.
- In the same greased pan add seviyan (vermicelli) and toss till light brown(2-3 minutes)
- Add khoya/mawa to the roasted seviyan and wait for it to melt.
- Now add milk to the mix and keep stirring while keeping the flame low to medium. Make sure you keep stirring the mix so that lumps aren't formed.
- Once you see the milk thicken and reduce in like about 8-10 minutes, slowly mix sugar and keep stirring. Make sure to pour a little at a time.
- Add roasted nuts and the rose water and mix if you like it.
- Add cardamom powder and cook in low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, the delicious sheer kurma is ready to make your Eid complete.
It should be noted that when you are making sheer khurma at home if it is made with whole milk which is creamy to get the perfect consistency and taste. Besides, ample dry fruits such as cashews, pistachios, almonds, etc, give it a crunchy taste and makes it yummier. Moreover, a lot also depends on how the dessert is served, many prefer it chilled while many love it warm.
By Sowmya Sangam